What is CoH membership?
The Covenant of Hekate (CoH) is a diverse community of devotees who share a passion for the Goddess Hekate. In our work, we share a vision of the Goddess Hekate as “Soteira” that is Saviour or Cosmic World Soul. At the same time we maintain our unique diversity of visions and experiences of this multi-faceted Goddess. We acknowledge Hekate’s long and varied history, her many attributions and the many cultures she touched both ancient and modern. Our study and practice is rooted in history. Members however are not required to practice in a prescribed manner, other than what is set out in our Guidelines
Our approach might not suit everyone, so we ask that prospective members read the information presented here and on the rest of the website carefully before applying.
We accept membership applications from individuals who are at least 18 years old at the time of application, have an established relationship with Hekate and who are in sympathy with our goals, which are:
1. To establish an international society through which the history and mysteries of the Goddess Hekate, as the Cosmic World Soul, are studied, shared and experienced.
2. For each member to strive towards fulfilling their full potential in all that they are and all that they aspire towards becoming.
What do members "get" ?
Community is as much about giving as it is about receiving. Once you become a member you will know that you have undertaken the same journey as all other members. Just like others before you, you contacted a Keybearer at a Membership Centre, and you have been invited to undertake the Rite of Dedication and then the Rite of the Red Cord. At this point you should get an email from your Keybearer inviting you to participate in a private forum / group and pointing you to other ways you can get involved. We actively encourage members to create content for other members, to share experiences and to participate in both online (more common since the pandemic) and in person events with others.
All members are known as Devotees, and can request to work towards becoming contributing members, helping others in the community, known as Torchbearers. Additional Keybearers are appointed by invitation and a consensus system once a year - and is a lifelong commitment.
The Covenant of Hekate is a very diverse network of devotees who have made a personal commitment to the Goddess Hekate. Some members practice within other established traditions or groups too, and many of our members also practice magic and divination - whereas, for others, their journey with Hekate is focussed entirely on the religious or spiritual aspects. All are welcome.
Members are asked to strive towards imbuing their lives with the 5-Virtues of Hekate. These Virtues were decided on through community discussion, debate, and consensus in 2013 within the Covenant of Hekate:
Good to Know
– We do not seek to convert others.
– We have the right to withhold membership or terminate membership without entering into debate.
– Be patient. Membership inquiries may take up to 2-4 weeks to process.
Interesting to Know
– "Covenant" does not mean "Coven"! The Covenant you enter into when you join the CoH is one with the Goddess, it is an agreement between members and the Goddess - not between members and the Covenant of Hekate, nor any specific members.
- The term "Sanctuary" was decided on in 2010, after a lot of careful consideration, discussion, and research, as the name for community spaces facilitated by Torchbearers in the Covenant of Hekate. At the time the term was not used for any contemporary group or space specifically linked to Hekate. Curiously, it has popped up in recent times as parts of names for everything from personal altars and shrines to commercial ventures linked to Hekate - so if you encounter a "Sanctuary of Hekate ... epithet of the goddess..." which is the format used by the CoH, it might be that the space is not associated with us, but instead created by someone inspired by the way we name our spaces. For a list of CoH Sanctuaries click here.
- The Covenant of Hekate was born in November 2010 following the Rite of Her Sacred Fires of May that year, which brought together many devotees of Hekate from around the globe. The Rite was created for the anthology project Hekate: Her Sacred Fires edited by Sorita d'Este, who also penned the Rite of Her Sacred Fires. The CoH was created by Sorita, with the support and help of a group of friends- including Vikki Bramshaw, Emily Carding, P.H. Barron, R. Podmore, and others. Find out more about our current Torchbearers ~ and Keybearers ~